Infant Colic Study
In this study we are evaluating the effect of a probiotic on crying time in infants with colic
- Infants aged 3-8 weeks
- Be exclusively or predominately breastfed infants (>50% breastfed)
- Cries excessively (more than a total of 3 hours per day, at least 3 days of the week)
Please complete the Pre-Screening Questionnaire to help us determine your infant's eligibility for the trial.
- Study Info Video
- Colic Info
- Infant colic is when an infant has sudden outbursts of inconsolable crying for more than three hours per day, more than three days per week.
Common symptoms of colic are flushing of the face, frowning, tensing of the abdomen, clenching of the fists, drawing up of the legs, and frequent, prolonged, and intense crying or fussiness in a healthy infant. Prevalence of infant colic varies but it affects an estimated 1 in 5 infants.
For this study, your infant does not require any prior diagnosis of colic
- Probiotic Info
- This is a placebo-controlled study. A placebo is a non-active version of the probiotic that is being evaluated in the study
- Two probiotic strains are being investigated in the study
- The first strain is one of the most well-documented strains in the world and the only probiotic that shows a benefit for infantile colic. The second strain is a daughter strain from the first and it is hoped that it can provide a faster and greater effect against colic
- Both the probiotic and placebo come in an oil formulation