Pre-Diabetes - Fibre Study
We are evaluating the effect of a fibre supplement on long term glucose control in those with pre-diabetes
- Aged 18-70
- BMI between 30-40kg/m2
- Have high blood sugars (pre-diabetic)
- If you are unsure of you blood sugar levels, we can provide a free blood test in our clinic
Please complete the Pre-Screening Questionnaire to help us determine your eligibility for the trial.
- BMI Check
If you are unsure of your BMI, please check it using the below link. It must be between 30-40 kg/m2 for you to be eligible for the study.BMI Calculator
- Continuous Glucose Monitor
Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) is a method used to track glucose levels throughout the day and night. The continuous glucose monitor used in this study is the FreeStyle Libre. The small, circular device has a sensor wire that gets placed under the skin. The device stores glucose readings that can be transferred to mobile phones.
You will wear sensors on 2 occasions over the course of the study, at visits 2 & 6 Each sensor lasts for 14 days.
- Oral Glucose Tolerance Test (OGTT)
- This is a standard test in the diagnosis and management of Type 2 diabetes.
- The OGTT involves placing an IV. This process involves inserting a thin tube, called a cannula, into a vein. This allows for multiple blood draws without the need for multiple needles.
- There will be 6 blood draws over the course of 2.5 hours.
- The blood draws take place before consuming a sugary drink and after. This is to get a baseline and then to measure the changes, if any, that occur.
- There will be an OGTT at visits 3 & 7